||Name: Shankarsinh Laxmansinh Vaghela
Party: Indian National Congress
Constituency: 120, Kapadvanj
Born: 21st July 1940, Vasan, Taluka and Dist. Gandhinagar.
Education: M.A. (Economics) (Gujarat University).
Spouse and Children: Smt. Gulabba, three sons.
Occupation:Agriculture, social service, education.
- Member,Sixth Lok Sabha, 1977-80.
- Member,Ninth Lok Sabha, 1989-91.
- Member,Tenth Lok Sabha, 1991-96.
- Member,Rajya Sabha, 1984-89.
- Member,Thirteenth Lok Sabha, 1999-2004.
- Member,Fourteenth Lok Sabha, 2004-09.
- Minister, Textile Ministry, Govt. of India, 2004-09.
- Had been Member of various Committees of Parliament and various Ministries of the Govt. of India, which include Estimates Committee, 1977-78, Committee on the Papers to be laid on the Table of the House, 1977-78,Consultative Committee, Agriculture and Irrigation Ministry, 1977-79, Consultative Committee, Chemicals and Fertilizers and Industries Ministry, 1984-89, House Committee, Rajya Sabha, 1984-86, Committee on Public Undertakings, 1986-87, Consultative Committee, Petroleum and Petrochemicals Ministry, 1989,Fertilizer and Rate Committee, 1991-96,Energy Committee, 1991-96, Petroleum and Natural Gas Committee, 1999,Committee on Private Members’ Bills and Resolutions, 1999, Committee on Estimates, 1999.
- Member, Ninth Gujarat Legislative Assembly, 1997. (Bye-election, Radhanpur Constituency).
- Chief Minister of Gujarat State from 23rd October 1996 to 27th October 1997 during which held portfolios like General Administration, Planning, Narmada Development, Home, Information and Broadcasting etc,.
- Leader of the Opposition, Gujarat Legislative Assembly, since 23rd January 2013.
- Full time activist of Bharatiya Jan Sangh since 1969.
- Has held various positions from a District level Office-bearer to Pradesh President and a member of All India Working Committee in Janata Party, Janata Morcho, Bharatiya Janata Party, Rashtriya Janata Party.
- Vice President, Janata Party, 1977-80. General Secretary and President, Gujarat Pradesh Bharatiya Janata Party, 1980-91.
- President, North Avenue M.P. Club, New Delhi, for six years.
- President, Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee, 2002-04.
- Chairman, Indian Tourism Development Corporation, Tourism Ministry, 2012.
- Managing Trustee, Samarpan Charitable Trust, Gandhinagar.
- Managing Trustee, Gandhinagar Charitable Trust.
- Managing Trustee, Shri Vaijanath Mahadev Trust, Vasan, Taluka and Dist. Gandhinagar.
- Managing Trustee, Shankarsinh Vaghela Bapu Charitable Trust, Vasan, Taluka and Dist. Gandhinagar.
- Associated with the management of various collages of Arts, Commerce, Engineering, Pharmacy, M.B.A. etc.
- Trustee of a number of socio-religious and educational institutions working for providing free of cost medical aid, food, clothes, books, schools and college fees etc., to the economically needy people.
- Associated with drama activities and other cultural activities.
Hobby: Reading, agriculture and travelling.
Travel Abroad: Canada, China, North Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia, Brazil, United Arab Emirates, Mexico, South Korea, Japan, European Countries including United Kingdom and Scandinavian Countries, Australia, New Zealand, Egypt, South Africa and United States of America.
Permanent Address: “Vasant Vagdo”, Near “K-7” Circle,Near Aadivada Railway Crossing,Randheja Road,Gandhinagar – 382 019.