Gujarat is a paradise for bird-watchers and wildlife enthusiasts. Deciduous forests, desert plains, grasslands, wetlands and coastal and marine locations have made Gujarat one of the most pleasant place for bird watching and wildlife viewing. The last Asiatic lions are found in the Gir National Park, in the Rann of Kutch are the only surviving wild asses in India and the Velavadar National Park conserves the rare, swift footed blackbuck. The Rann is also the only nesting ground in India of the large flamingo. Throughout most of the state there is a naturally rich bird life, peacocks and parrots are the most common. Migratory birds from North Eurasia find Gujarat a pleasant winter resting ground. With its long coastline, Gujarat enjoys the good fishing waters. Pomfret, a favourite in restaurants throughout the country is caught here, as are prawns, tuna and Bombay Duck which is salted and dried fish. There are about four national parks and twenty one wildlife sanctuaries in Gujarat. Some of the wildlife sanctuaries and national parks in Gujarat are the Marine National Park, Gir National Park, Indian Wild Ass Wildlife sanctuary, Velavadar National Park. Nalsarovar Bird Sanctuary, Khijadia Bird Sanctuary and the Porbandar Bird sanctuary are the other bird sanctuaries in Gujarat.
Things to remember while visiting Wildlife Sanctuaries in Gujarat
1. The best time to visit the wildlife sanctuaries is from October to March.
2. The best time to watch wildlife is in the early morning or evening.
3. Binoculars, Measuring tape, notebook, etc. are the various things that you can carry on your visit.
4. Avoid heavy footwear and clothes that hinder easy movement. Ideally wear colours that match with the surroundings.
5. Maintain silence while you are in the sanctuary.
6. Do not run when you see the bigger animals. Usually an animal sight us before we see it and moves away.
7. Do not smoke or wear perfumes on your visit.
8. Do not go very close to carnivores.
9. Be alert at all times.
10. Do not litter the sanctuaries and surroundings.